A disagreement between FKF vice president and retired footballer McDonald Mariga and musician Bahati has sparked debate over a KSh 1 million pledge intended for Harambee Stars. The controversy erupted after Bahati leaked private chats, claiming Mariga stalled the promised donation following the national team’s historic victory over Morocco in the 2024 Africa Nations Championship (CHAN).
Bahati had publicly pledged to reward the team if they defeated Morocco, a promise that has yet to materialize. In response, the singer shared WhatsApp screenshots, reportedly between August 18 and 24, showing repeated attempts to coordinate the handover. The messages highlighted delays due to a film shoot and family commitments, with Bahati even posting a video in a Harambee Stars jersey, holding bundles of cash and promising to honor his pledge. He further claimed CAF regulations prevented him from directly accessing the players immediately after the match.
Mariga, however, strongly refuted the allegations. Speaking to SPM Sports, he accused Bahati of “clout-chasing” and described the communication as chaotic. “The first time he called, he said he would give KSh 1 million. Since then, he’s been taking me in circles. When I call, he doesn’t pick up. Other times, he says he’s in Naivasha. Honestly, nothing he says is clear. I don’t have time for liars,” Mariga said.
The FKF official emphasized that he wanted the money delivered directly to the team, not to be part of any online showmanship. “All these things he’s saying are nonsense and lies. He should stop riding on people’s names as he always does,” he added. Mariga reiterated that he was concerned about protecting his reputation and avoiding the perception that he was mishandling players’ funds.
The saga has divided public opinion, with some accusing Bahati of stalling the handover and others questioning Mariga’s handling of the situation. While Bahati insists he intended to fulfill the pledge, Mariga maintains that only a direct delivery to the Harambee Stars will resolve the issue. As of now, the KSh 1 million remains undelivered, leaving the football community awaiting a resolution.