Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has dismissed proposals for a buffer zone between Ukrainian and Russian forces, arguing the idea is detached from the realities of modern warfare. His remarks came after reports suggested European leaders were considering a 40km (25-mile) demilitarised strip of land as part of a potential ceasefire or peace settlement.
“Only those who do not understand the technological state of today’s war propose a buffer zone,” Zelensky told reporters on Friday. He stressed that advances in drone warfare had already created what he called a “dead zone” along the front lines, where both Ukrainian and Russian forces keep heavy artillery at a distance to avoid drone strikes.
The suggestion of a buffer zone has drawn comparisons to historic demilitarised zones such as the one dividing North and South Korea or the Cold War-era Iron Curtain. But Zelensky warned that such a plan could force Ukraine to give up territory, which he firmly rejected. “If Russia wants to have a greater distance from us, they can retreat deep into the temporarily occupied territories of Ukraine,” he said.
The Ukrainian leader also accused Moscow of avoiding genuine peace efforts. “Russia is not ready for diplomacy but is seeking ways to postpone the end of the war,” he added.
Hopes of diplomatic progress dimmed further after German Chancellor Friedrich Merz confirmed there would “obviously not” be a summit between Zelensky and Russian President Vladimir Putin, noting Putin appeared unwilling to engage. French President Emmanuel Macron echoed this sentiment, saying Russia’s recent escalation showed little appetite for talks.
On Thursday, Russia launched one of its largest aerial assaults of the war, firing 629 drones and missiles at Kyiv. At least 23 people were killed, and two missiles landed near EU offices in the city, prompting condemnation from European leaders. EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas described the strikes as a “deliberate escalation” that undermined peace efforts.
Meanwhile, Zelensky’s chief of staff Andriy Yermak held discussions with senior U.S. officials, including Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Vice President JD Vance, about American peace initiatives. European leaders are also working on providing Ukraine with “robust and credible” security guarantees, with talks set to continue next week.